In the last few years there have been a number of dermal fillers manufactured. The availability of so many such products should indicate that the ideal product for skin augmentation is still not available. Captique is a relatively newer, non-animal chemical that resembles hyaluronic acid.
Being non-animal means that the risk of allergy is minimal and no pretesting is required before use.
Captique It was approved by the FDA in 2004 for cosmetic use. It has been mainly used in cosmetic surgery to erase deep skin folds and wrinkles on the face, resulting in improved facial shape, contour and a fresher looking image.
Captique is somewhat unique compared to the other dermal fillers because very few individuals react adversely to the chemical. It rarely produces any prolonged swelling after injection
Captique comes as a liquid gel and adds volume to the tissues when it is injected. This added volume restores the skin texture and erases the wrinkles.
The hyaluronic acid is a jelly like substance and rapidly fills the space beneath the skin, delivers nutrients, holds water and even acts as a cushioning layer.
Captique injections are not painless and most individuals require a local anesthetic to numb the skin.
The results of Captique injections may last anywhere between four to six months- there are only a few isolated reports that it can last up to a year. Maintenance injections are necessary to maintain the cosmetic face.
After Captique injections:
- You may experience redness, swelling, itching, or minor pain. These symptoms resolve in a few days but an ice pack will help ease the pain and swelling.
- Facial makeup can be applied within a few hours
- One should minimize sun exposure
Uses of Captique
Captique is very versatile and can be used to treat:
- Around the eyes
- nasolabial folds (smile lines)
- vertical lip lines
- marionette lines (lip corners)
- Around the mouth
The results are reproducible and predictable with minimal complications
Anytime a chemical is injected into the body, one can expect some side effects. The side effects of Captique are minor but do occur. The side effects include:
Other extremely rare side effects include tissue hardening and bumps around the treated area.
Captique treatments are not indicated when
- there is skin infection
- individual is prone to keloids
- individual is prone to skin discoloration
- individual has collagen vascular disease
Advantages of Captique include:
- fresher, younger appearance of skin
- reduction or elimination of moderate or severe wrinkles, lines, and folds in the face
- Plumper, fuller lips.
- effects of Captique injections last longer compared to many other dermal fillers
Captique injections are not cheap and can cost about $400 to $500 per 1 cc syringe. Most individuals require anywhere from 1-2 cc. In addition, these injections must be maintained 1-3 times a year.