A relatively new addition to the arsenal of anti-aging procedures, Refirme offers skin tightening, wrinkle reduction and the correction of sagging skin. It uses a combination of light and bi-polar radio frequencies to deliver targeted heat to the areas of the skin being treated. Refirme offers several advantages over laser treatment and surgical wrinkle reduction approaches.
Advantages of Refirme
Numerous advantages to Refirme include:
- Refirme is relatively painless, unlike many other procedures used to reduce signs of aging.
- There is little to no downtime after Refirme treatment.
- Treatment is highly targeted, allowing specific areas to be addressed.
- Refirme uses much less light energy than lasers, making it safer overall.
- Refirme is safe and effective for all skin types and colors.
- Refirme treatment appears to stimulate collagen growth for longer lasting results.
Refirme has been FDA-cleared, and is becoming more commonly used throughout the US.
Disadvantages of Refirme
The biggest disadvantage of Refirme is the cost. Treatments, usually lasting 45 minutes to an hour, can cost several hundred dollars each, and most patients must have at least three or four treatments before seeing results. Insurance does not usually cover Refirme treatments, meaning that this cost must come out of pocket for the patient.
Although Refirme is much less invasive than dermabrasion, laser treatments or a traditional facelift, there are still some side effects after treatment. These include redness, swelling and sometimes discomfort immediately after the procedure. Some people experience discomfort during the procedure, as well.
Because Refirme is relatively new, it might be difficult to find a doctor who is experienced with the procedure in your area. This situation will likely change in the near future, but in the meantime a scarcity of practitioners must be considered a disadvantage for those who do not want to travel or who wish to have a doctor nearby for follow-up.