A chemical peel is a mixture of chemicals that forms gel-like consistency. It's applied to the face in order to smooth the surface of the skin, remove the appearance of fine lines and remove blemishes. There are three types of chemical peels: mild, medium-depth and deep. Each have their advantages and serve different purposes.
What Are the Advantages of a Mild Chemical Peel?
- Chemical peels help to smooth dry skin
- Can help with pigmentation problems
- Controls acne
- Removes blemishes
- Less recovery time
- Helps with mild sun-damage
- Reduces mild blotchiness
- Fresher and younger looking appearance
What Are the Advantages of a Medium-Depth Chemical Peel?
- Thin facial lines are removed or the appearance is less noticeable
- The medium-depth reduces facial birthmarks
- The pigmentation in the skin is improved
- Helps with dry skin and old acne scarring
- Helps with sun-damaged skin
- Improves blotchy skin
- Younger looking overall appearance
What Are the Advantages of a Deep Chemical Peel?
- Ability to remove pre-cancerous growths
- Deeper acne scar emanation
- Long lasting effect
- Eliminates deeper lines on the face??
- Controls acne
- Helps with deep or course wrinkles
- Age spot removal
- Only a single treatment is necessary
- Smoother skin, younger appearance
- Long-term results are very good when the peel is specifically for acne scarring
The advantages of chemical peels are many, and all three help with different issues. The deep chemical peels are reserved for those with the worst types of skin problems, including serious acne, scarring and birthmarks. Some disadvantages of chemical peels need mentioning.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Chemical Peel?
- Excessive peeling normally happens more with the medium-depth peel and particularly with the deep peel
- Stinging sensation when initially applied
- Redness appears. Again, this is particularly so with the deep and medium peels. The light peel normally results in peeling like a sunburn.
- Temporarily may feel a bit of numbness
- Deep chemical peels can cause a crusting or scabbing after the treatment, as the deep dead skin cells are sleuthing off. This is temporary.
- Sensitivity to the sun ? you will need to stay out of the sun for a short time after the peel as your skin is more sensitive
- Costs can also be a disadvantage for some, since the average chemical peel cost $500 for each treatment
While some disadvantages do exist for chemical peels, the advantages do outweigh them particularly for those suffering from severe skin problems, such as acne or acne scarring. Even with the disadvantages, most people that have had them report they would have it again because of the overall improvement of their skin's surface and the younger fresher look the entire chemical peels bring about. The discomforts often associated with a chemical peel are temporary and subside rather quickly.