Microdermabrasion is a relatively newer procedure to tone down the skin. It essentially polishes the skin. It is a widely used cosmetic procedure used mostly by women.
Microdermabrasion uses different types of crystals to remove the most superficial skin. The procedure produces a softer and smoother skin with fine texture.
The procedure can be performed on any part of the body.
Microdermabrasion can be used to :
- treat mild acne scars
- soft scars
- improve appearance of rough and uneven skin
- treat fine wrinkle lines
- sunburnt skin
- skin discolorations
- early photoaging
The procedure is effective for all races but individuals in the younger age groups (less than 55 years) have the best response.
Microdermabrasion is performed by a hand held device that stimulates crystals onto the surface of the skin. The revolving crystals peel off the most superficial skin layer, resulting in a gentler and softer abrasion of the skin. The dead skin and cells are then sucked into a vacuum. After the procedure, some type of soothing lotion is applied to the skin. The treatments usually run about 30 minutes and most individuals require at least 4-8 treatments spaced over 2-4 weeks. Multiple sessions are required to maintain the cosmetic results.
- has no serious complications
- generates a polished smoother and fresh looking skin
- requires no needles, pain or anesthesia
- has no downtime
- can be combined with other procedures
- only useful for the most superficial skin lesions
- most individuals require multiple sessions
- Not all individuals show a good response (usually younger show a good response).
The cost of microdermabrasion is variable and ranges from $ 100-200 per treatment. Many vendors of this technique offer package deals (just like buying groceries).
The procedure is best done by health care professionals who are experienced with the procedure.