Restylane, used as a cosmetic dermal filler, is the only filler on the market which does not contain animal protein. Injections of Restylane can enhance your appearance by diminishing wrinkles, facial folds, filling up lips, and enhancing other areas of your face.
Restylane (hyaluronic acid) is made by fermentation of bacteria, thus minimizing the possibility of allergic reactions to animal proteins. Hyaluronic acid is a substance naturally occurring in the human body, so Restylane injections have a tendency to be accommodated by the body without dangerous side effects.
Initial Results of Restylane Treatment
Restylane will make your face look younger. Your skin will look rejuvenated and refreshed, and your wrinkles and folds will smooth out and diminish. That effect is caused by the natural ability of hyaluronic acid to bind water and the more water in the dermis (the middle layer of skin).
Initial results of Restylane injections depend on the area treated:
- Wrinkles: disappear almost immediately without much of side effects
- Facial folds: results can be seen as soon as after few hours following the procedure
- Lips augmentation: Since that procedure requires more Restylane to be injected, there may be more redness and swelling after the treatment. These effects can last for up to a week.
- Eyes: tear troughs (dark circles under eyes) use less Restylane than lips, but since that area is very sensitive and rich with blood vessels, initially there may be some bruising caused by vessels breaking up and bleeding. Bruises can be covered with make-up and usually go away in one to two weeks.
The initial results of Restylane injections also depend on the individual's ability to assimilate foreign substances introduced to the body.
Long Term Results of Restylane Treatment
Restylane lasts much longer than other cosmetic fillers. With proper touch-up treatments, it can last up to 18 months. Since hyaluronic acid is highly compatible with human body, after that period of time it dissolves and is metabolized (which means you will need another full treatment).
Again, the area treated, the amount of Restylane used, and your individual abilities to sustain or metabolize hyaluronic acid will affect the frequency of treatments, but average times are as following.
- wrinkles: 9-12 months
- facial folds: 6-8 months
- lips augmentation: 2-6 months. Muscle movements speed up Restylane metabolizing; that is why areas around the mouth need more frequent treatments
- eyes: up to 1 year according to some practitioners
It is necessary to understand that Restylane injections are not permanent solutions to eliminating wrinkles and other facial imperfections. Restylane does not stop aging nor does it tighten skin for indefinite periods of time. It is possible that effects of aging, sun exposure and weight fluctuations will eventually create a need for more drastic measures, such as cosmetic surgery, to keep a youthful appearance.